The Government of Alberta
The government of Alberta has employment standards for all employers in the province, including emergency medical service providers You can learn more about Employment Standards on their website.
There are unique rules for ambulance attendant employees under the Employment Standards Regulation. Learn more about ambulance attendants exceptions.
The list below is a limited selection of the numerous pieces of pertinent regulation applicable to paramedics in regards to Provincial Legislation.
- Alberta Health Act
- Health Disciplines Act (Legacy)
- Health Professions Act
- Emergency Health Services Act
- Traffic Safety Act
- Child, Youth & Family Enhancement Act
- Protection for Persons in Care Act
- Fatality Inquiries Act
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Emergency Medical Aid Act
- Limitations Act
- Mental Health Act
- Personal Directives Act
- Health Information Act
- Mandatory Testing and Disclosure Act
- Pharmacy and Drug Act
- Protection of Children Abusing Drugs Act
- Public Health Act
The list below is a limited selection of the numerous pieces of pertinent regulation applicable to paramedics in regards to Federal Legislation.
- Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Program
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Section 56 Exemption
In the province of Alberta, occupational health and safety rules establish minimum standards for safe and healthy practices in the workplace. Both workers and employers have a shared responsibility to follow legislation. Visit the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety website for more information.
There are three main components to the health and safety legislation:
Occupational Health and Safety Resources
- Tips for workers and workplaces to help handle the impact of shift work. [Work Safe Alberta]
- Ask an Expert: Get answers to your workplace health and safety questions. [OHS Alberta]
Workers Compensation Board
Effective the 10th of December 2012 first responders who suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder are eligible for presumptive coverage through the Workers Compensation Board of Alberta.
American Psychological Association
If you are en employer who would like some more infromation, tools and articles to help your employees head on over for the resources that can help you do the best for your team.
The paramedicine profession in Alberta is regulated by the Alberta College of Paramedics in accordance with the Health Professions Act of Alberta. To learn more about the role of the Alberta College of Paramedics visit their website.